Amber products exhibit exceptional beauty due to the stunning radiance of the stones. Unfortunately, with time, these gems may lose their luster and accumulate dirt. To counteract these undesirable effects, and ideally prevent them, proper and regular care, including cleaning, is crucial for amber. We present three methods that are not only accessible but also safe for this delicate mineral. At yantar.ua, we understand the significance of preserving the allure of amber, and we present three methods that are not only accessible but also safe for this delicate mineral.
Method one: Cleaning with a Wet Cloth
- Fill a deep bowl with warm water and add a small amount of mild soap, stirring gently to create a soap solution. Shower gel or shampoo can be alternatives, but harsh detergents should be avoided to prevent damage to the stone.
- Dip a clean cloth (flannel or wool) into the soapy solution, ensuring it's only slightly damp, not wet. Wipe the amber thoroughly and immediately dry it. Avoid leaving amber to air dry as it can become cloudy. Clean and dry amber jewelry separately.
- After cleaning, polish the design using olive or almond oil to remove excess fat and enhance the stone's shine. Apply a small amount of oil to your palm, gently rub it into each pebble, and wipe with a dry, soft cloth.
Method two: Silver Cleaning Cloth for Amber Renewal
- Use a silver cleaning cloth, preferably double-sided with dark and light sides, to renew the look of amber.
- Wipe the amber with the light-colored side until it shines. Dark spots on the cloth may appear if there is silver in the decoration.
- Polish the amber with the dark side of the cloth, using light circular motions until it gleams.
Method three: Cleaning with Soapy Water
- Conduct a test on a small part of the stone before proceeding with cleaning amber using soapy water to ensure it's safe.
- Prepare two containers with warm water—one for washing and the other for rinsing.
- Add a few drops of mild soap or gel to the washing container and mix gently.
- Immerse the amber product in the soapy water, gently removing impurities with light touches. Use a soft toothbrush for hard-to-reach places without pressing too hard.
- Avoid letting the products soak for too long, and prevent pulling on necklaces too hard.
- Rinse the decoration in clean water and carefully wipe it dry.
Useful Tips for Cleaning Amber Products:
- Clean amber jewelry immediately after wearing using a soft flannel cloth.
- For mildly tarnished items, polish with a soft cloth lightly moistened in olive oil.
- Apply hairspray, perfume, and toilet water before wearing mineral jewelry.
- Avoid swimming or bathing with amber accessories, both in natural and artificial water.
- Refrain from storing jewelry with amber during household chores like washing, cooking, or cleaning.